Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Under The Same Gray Sky: Chapter 5

This is was one of Jessie's favorite day of the week. He could get up as late as he wants, guilt-free, spend the rest of the day with his mind completely off school hassles, take slumber in the oldest of the night and can still afford to get enough sleep to greet a lazy Sunday. It was 3 hours past breakfast and Jessie was still in bed, warm with his blanket over his head. He was planning a 15 minute snooze before he get up when *SMACK!* a familiar hand to his thigh lingers an annoying sharp-then-dull pain, prompting him to cover his head with a pillow.

"Hey! What's the matter with you?? Get up! It's mid-morning. Don't be a lazy ass! Your wasting like 5 hours of your life, you know." *SMACK!* "Wake up!" *SPANK!* "Wake up already!"

"Mom! Com'on, give me a break. It's Saturday. We don't have classes. I'll be up in 10." Jessie reasoned.

"That better be in seconds." said his mom.

"What do you want from me today? Run you some errands? I'll be on it in a while. OK?" 

"Actually Al is on the phone. He wants to speak to you."

"Wha...? What? Couldn't you just tell him I'm still asleep?" Jessie said followed by a long lazy yawn."

"I did tell him. About 7 times already..." his mom tugged his arms, "so get up already!"

"Fine..." 

Jessie went downstairs to the living room and picked up the phone placed on hold, "I'm still sleeping!" Jessie softly exclaimed with his eyes shut and messy hairdo. 

"It's lunch time. You're still in bed?" Al replied.

"What's up?" Jessie asked.

"Do you have anything planned today?" Al inquired.

"Well, I was planning to go back to bed after this phone call." Jessie said in a mocking tone.

"What?? Don't waste your life like that. Think of all the stuff you could do not being in your room, all the acquaintanceship waiting, the adventures and misadventures. You're missing out on all these. Com'on, I'll be in your place in 15 minutes and well go out. Seize the day! And besides...I'm bored here."Al chuckled.

"Uhmm...ayt man."

"Cool." hangs up phone.

After about 30 min, the two boys were inside Jessie's car. Ignition on. 

Jessie asked, "So....where to?"

"I don't know." Al said, smiling.

Jessie let out a deep intense breath, "I thought you had this planned out?? What about your 'seize the day, adventures/misadventures' crap, huh?"

"Chill bro. Well it's right about lunch time already. Let's grab a bite. Uh... the mall has varieties to offer. Let's go there." 

Jessie looked puzzled as they exited the residential area and off to the highway, then asked,  "Are you always like this? I mean is it really in your character to face each day not knowing where to go, what to do, what to bring?"

Al dialed down the volume on the stereo, " Not exactly. Especially on school days, I have everything laid out, from what underwear to don on, how my hair should be, how much I should spend for snacks, what to eat on lunch...up to who I will fantasized in the bathroom later that night." both exchanged chuckles. Then Al continued, "but on some days, like when I've got nothing important to do, I want to be spontaneous. It's always walking on uncertainty, but the surprises that come along that road is always worth it. Besides it sharpens your initiative and creativity in dealing with unseen or unexpected situations, which, I should stress, is very very handy in life."

"Wow, I didn't think you were so deep."

"What's so deep about that?" Al asked.

"I don't know." chuckle fills up the vehicle again.

to be continued...

No comments: